News from the Republic of Letters

Thoughts for the day

Will be updated every weekday if we can manage it.

Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

NEWS, SORT OF

TRoL #21 is now out. When our subscribers around the world receive their copies and the bookshops that carry the magazine have been suppplied, we expect to have under fifty copies left for new subscribers. I urge anyone interested in the magazine to e-mail us as soon as possible. We deliberately do not over-print copies. We ran out of #20 within the first week. The three copies in my possession are from subscribers who have moved without telling us.

If you click on our logo above, you will be sent directly to the magazine's main site. Copies will be mailed out to new subscribers or re-subscribers in order of receipt.

It is easier and quicker for payments to be made out directly in the Editor's name and sent to our accountant, Mr. Sidney Williams, at 29 Cunningham Rd, Wellesley MA 02481.:

********

You will note two new icons to the right, announcing the publication of the first two volumes of my autobiography; a third will follow by the summer.

I regret to say that copies are not available. This first edition was published for 'family and friends' in editions of 65 and 50 copies.

I have to admit that what was designed as a 'private' edition, due to take me as far as my twenty-first year, 1949, has now been circulated in so many xeroxes and has aroused so much interest, that bits and pieces have either been published or are about to be published abroad, and that my original aim of a private early life has been entirely subverted. I did not anticipate this. Clearly, however, the volume of letters I have received, including from people who do not know me at all, has touched a nerve. Without exception, those readers closest to me have urged that I not stop there, but continue -- I am currently at work on FRAGMENTS IV (1951-1953). And though I have lost all faith in publishers, I am now more or less compelled to submit it to them. At which point, I suppose copies will become available.

No comments:

Post a Comment